Monday, February 05, 2007

Phil and Drew


(Phil, Me and Drew)

Phil and Drew are two university students from Arkansas. When I first over heard them talking I though to myself that these were just typical frat boys. I admit it I assumed too much and just wrote them off as a stereotype. I guess it was the mode of speech, "Aw man, the diving in Fiji is just awesome!"

Well let this be a lesson to you all and a reminder to me. Never Assume. These guys definitely had the swagger but also held a wealth of surprise. Phil is on his way to Australia to continue his studies as a Marine Biologist where he's performing experiments which will hopefully help save The Great Barrier Reef. Drew is studying Pharmacology and is doing a semester abroad with his good friend Phil. These guys are bright, curious and talk like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemount High.

It made me sit up and take notice that there are a lot of students on the travel track but if you look closely many of them are studying to do something noteable with there lives. I've seen future doctors, lawyers, engineers. I even met a girl studying to be a nanotecnologist.

It gives me some hope to know that the people who will be running the world are actually interested in seeing it first.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shervin said...

Dear Wise Barry (Manena actually called you this as soon as she read this blog entry):

We cannot describe the gleeful feeling we get from reading your blog entries. The simple fact of willingly sharing your adventures with everyone might be interesting enough, yet your voice and choice of words is so unpretentious which makes it so delight to read and so unique in many ways; among all, it is certainly, because you are wholeheartedly sharing the story with no words of showing it off.

It is a pleasure to read your blog, certainly because of you tasteful tone; However, your today’s entry sounded was one that I will keep, the most modest and unpretentious of all. Thinking of what you thought of your friends (Phil and Drew), (and let’s say we all have our little, if not many, moments of MAKING AN ASSUMPTIONS), and how you simply corrected your first assumption makes me feel I need to redo my being all over again. And then comes the fact that you courageously shared your thought with us, corrected yourself and let us join your train of thought in that moment of self solitude of yours.

Be well and enjoy it Wise Barry, we are reading along

Shervin and Manena

February 06, 2007 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home